Our teaching position is a unique opportunity to join a special community of educators. Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy, in Overland Park, Kansas, is a teacher centered school which affords teachers the freedom to be creative and innovative, with support and guidance from their administrators. Teachers are an integral part of the school and beloved by the HBHA families. HBHA is a school that seeks to empower teachers to bring their full selves to work, rather than asking them to simply read a lesson plan. HBHA is truly an exceptional work environment, and as such we are seeking an exceptional elementary teacher.
If you are:
- A thoughtful and reflective educator, or who is a life-long learner and wants to continually improve your practice.
- A team player, willing to support others and be supported by others in an environment that cherishes community, teamwork, and cross curricular innovation.
- An excellent communicator and willing to work in partnership with parents in the best interest of the children.
- Someone who values creativity and autonomy over adhering to a rigid structure, bureaucracy and preparing for tests.
- Someone who thrives without being micromanaged, while still being open to ideas from peers and administrators
- Someone open to working in a Jewish environment in which Jewish (and human) values, traditions, and holidays are woven seamlessly into the day
- Value teaching the whole child, not just the three Rs
The successful candidate will:
- Have a strong background in music with knowledge in both secular and Jewish music
- Have experience teaching music to school-aged students
- Provide students with an education in Jewish and secular Studies songs as well as music theory
- Have a strong knowledge base of teaching instruments such as percussion instruments and woodwinds, including but not limited to the recorder, trombone, flute, and clarinet
- Be able to teach and lead a 5th grade band
- Demonstrate knowledge of 21st Century skills, differentiated instruction, modeling and project-based learning
- Have strong classroom management strategies and excellent communication skills
- Be an enthusiastic educator who will assist in the programming of Jewish holiday events and programs
- Inspire a love of music that will continue through Middle and Upper School
- Be committed to professional growth and professional sharing
- Work collaboratively with members of the grade level team as well as administration, students, and families
Qualifications: Education and/or Music degree and teaching license preferred, experience teaching music to school-aged students.
The ideal candidate for this position will teach general and Jewish music in our Jewish Day School familiarizing students with songs and music theory. The appropriate candidate will also help to organize and implement Jewish holiday programs. The qualified teacher is an enthusiastic educator. This teacher must be ready to nurture and support students appropriately and enthusiastically according to their developmental levels. We are looking for a capable and enthusiastic person to join our high-quality team. Strong classroom management skills are a must. This teacher will teach our daily music classes (includes teaching the playing of the recorder and various musical instruments), be familiar with the meanings of prayers. Excellent communications skills with students and families are a requirement.
HBHA may be the place for you! We offer:
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- A warm and supportive work environment
- Professional development opportunities
- A chance to develop the craft of teaching
Application Process: Please complete the online application below; or mail in application with cover letter and a list of references to 5801 W. 115th Street, Overland Park, KS 66211.