At Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy we take pride in being a community of economically and Jewishly diverse students and families with a commitment to the paired Jewish values of personal dignity and communal responsibility. HBHA’s Board of Trustees recognizes that economic diversity enriches the educational opportunities for all families and that the participation of a wide range of families is critical to our mission.
At HBHA, we value the importance of need-based tuition assistance in building and sustaining our academic community where approximately 55% of our students receive some amount of tuition assistance to support their education. As a community Jewish day school, we take pride in our commitment to partner to provide an HBHA education to students across our Greater KC Jewish community. HBHA greatly appreciates the Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City, Menorah Heritage Foundation and Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Kansas City, as well as other donors, who generously provide financial support for our tuition assistance program.
All financial information regarding individual students and their families is confidential. Applications are numerically coded and applicant names are not shared with administration, faculty, or Financial Assistance Committee members.
Please send Financial Assistance questions to [email protected].
Important Dates for Academic Year 2023-24 Financial Assistance
- 2/1/23: 2023-24 Financial Assistance process begins; applications will be available at hbha.edu.
- 2/24/23: Happy Continuous Enrollment Anniversary!
- 2/28/23: Completed Financial Assistance Application/all supporting documents due by 4pm
- 3/15/23: Non-Refundable Commitment Fee will be automatically withdrawn via FACTS
- 3/17/23: Financial Assistance Award Notifications e-mailed
- 3/24/23: Financial Assistance Appeals due by 4pm
- 4/21/23: Financial Assistance Appeal decisions emailed on or prior to this date
- June/July 2023: Invoices sent for 2023-24 with financial assistance award included.
Important Dates for Academic Year 2022-23 Financial Assistance
- 2/01/22: 2022-23 Financial Assistance process begins; applications will be available at hbha.edu
- 2/25/22: Happy Continuous Enrollment Anniversary!
- 2/28/22: Completed Financial Assistance Applications/supporting documents due by 4pm
- 3/15/22: Non-Refundable Annual Commitment Fee will be automatically withdrawn via FACTS
- 3/18/22: Financial Assistance Award Notifications emailed
- 3/25/22: Financial Assistance Appeals due by 4:00 pm
- 4/29/22: Financial Assistance Appeal decisions emailed on or prior to this date
- June/July 2022: Invoices sent for 2022-23, with financial assistance award included
Incomplete Financial Assistance Applications
Please ensure you are submitting a complete application (per our Financial Assistance Checklist), along with all supporting documents by the due date. Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
1. Returning families:
- All returning families are required to submit all information and adhere to all published deadlines.
- Incomplete or late applications will be subject to the availability of remaining funds.
- If you have a past due balance with HBHA, your application for financial assistance will not be processed until payment arrangements have been made with the Business Office.
2. New applicants are required to submit all information and adhere to communicated deadlines (based on date of application to the school). An active application to the school must be in place concurrent with an application for financial assistance.
3. If application is incomplete, applicants will be notified via email from HBHA’s Business Office.
Notification of Awards
- All financial assistance applicants will be advised in writing via email.
- Applicant acceptance of financial assistance award or a request for an appeals form must be made via return email within 7 calendar days of receipt of award notification email. Applicants will receive a response to their appeal within 30 days.
Financial Assistance Policy
- Financial assistance awards may not exceed the budgeted amount approved by the Board of Trustees in any single academic year.
- HBHA maintains a single budget for the financial assistance program (includes new and renewing students). A separately funded budget does not exist for financial assistance emergencies that occur during the academic year.
- All financial assistance awards are for one academic year. Applicants must reapply each academic year.
- Supplemental costs such as book fees are not included in financial assistance awards.
- HBHA, in awarding financial assistance, is not bound to recognize any divorce decree specifying a parent’s responsibility for educational expenses. Likewise, HBHA cannot be bound by the assertion that one parent has disclaimed responsibility for the student.
- If it is determined that information provided to the school by the family is materially inaccurate or misleading, HBHA reserves the right to rescind the financial assistance at any time. Additionally, if the family’s financial situation changes, HBHA reserves the right to review the family’s financial assistance award.
- Recipients of financial assistance are expected to meet minimum academic standards and abide by policies stated in the Parent/Student Handbook.
- All families who accept the financial assistance award will be required to sign up for electronic payments via FACTS.
- An active application to the school must be in place concurrent with an application for financial assistance.
- Returning families may apply for financial assistance only when their account is current. Contact the HBHA Business Office to make arrangements.
OUTSIDE FUNDING SOURCES FOR HBHA FAMILIES
Morris Fingersh Scholarship Fund
The Trustees of the Morris Fingersh Scholarhip Trust Fund are now prepared to proceed with the disbursement of the funds from the trust set up by the late Morris Fingersh. The income from the trust is to be used to provide financial assistance to deserving students at the Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy.
All student of the Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy are eligible. Aplication requests for financial assistance should be sent AFTER MARCH 15 to:
Trustees of the Morris Fingersh Trust
c/o Kehilath Israel Synagogue,
10501 Conser Street, Overland Park, Kansas 66212
Additional financial assistance is available to HBHA students whose families are in a specific income bracket through ACE Scholarships. Applications are now available here. Please complete an application and submit all required documentation by April 18th, to be considered for an award.
How do I know if our family qualifies for an ACE Scholarship?
How does our family apply for the ACE Scholarship?